By Kathy McFalls, MS, RD,LD
What’s your risk of gaining weight over the holidays? Take this assessment quiz, score yourself. Find out how to improve your eating habits this holiday season with my post on devising a game plan! – Kathy
1. Do you often feel obligated to have second helpings at holiday meals to please family and friends? Y or N
2. Do you nervously slurp down beverages at holiday gatherings when you are at a loss for something to say? Y or N
3. Do you sample dough during holiday baking? Y or N
4. Do you have trouble letting leftovers ‘rest in peace’? Y or N
5. Do you feel obligated to eat every food gift you receive? Y or N
6. Are you susceptible to binges? For instances, do you vow not to eat chocolates and then when you do give in you eat the whole box? Y or N
7. Is the only exercise you get the mad dashes between stores and parties? Y or N
8. Do you fill up on hors d’oeuvres and then eat a big meal anyway? Y or N
9. Are you so busy that you often skip meals? Y or N
10. Do you feel powerless to resist favorite foods that come only once a year? Y or N
11. Do you eat anything you want during the holidays because you plan to be on a strict diet January 1? Y or N
12. Do you keep holiday goodies around the house in case guests drop-in, but usually eat the goodies yourself? Y or N
13. Do you find your clothes fitting more tightly and uncomfortably by the end of the holiday season? Y or N
SCORE: 1 point for each “yes” answer and 0 points for a “no” answer.
0: That’s an accomplishment! You are in control, keep up the good work!
1-4: You’re doing fairly well. Identify one goal to work on this season.
5-9: Your eating habits and vulnerability need to be strengthened. Identify a goal and keep a food & activity record.
10-13: Be careful. You are heading toward weight gain this holiday season. Set a weight maintenance goal, keep food & activity records, and get support.